Lots of excitement outside on Monday. Our landlord graciously brought us some plants, desert friendly of course. We had a barrel cactus that was so crowded in a small space, and he had his worker move it for us This is a tremendously hard job especially in the heat we have been having. But it looks so awesome in its new location.
Bill and I continued the work outside. We weeded the front and side yard that had really grown up with all the rain and sunshine. It is like they come up over night. While we were doing that we also moved the river rocks from the front and put them in the narrow planter along the front and side of the gallery. We were gifted some ocotillo plants and we included those as well. Two agave plants, in back and another cactus and small tree out front rounded out the day. We are continuing work on new display furniture and some projects inside. We are coming down to the wire now only 16 days to get it all done.
Bill has been working so hard, all the painting is done except for one room that we will open later. He finished the bathroom today. We have a little miscellaneous touch up here and there but that is it. Next will be another piece of furniture to finish, install the new medicine cabinet and the new sink. He will also reinstall the handicap bars in the bathroom to their correct position. I will finish painting the cash wrap counter. We are getting so close to ready, we can really feel it now. We will be unwrapping and hanging art before long. I have included a photo of the plant/storage rack in place. We cannot install the doors yet as we are waiting for the track for the doors to arrive but it still looks great.
Until next time.
I posted the picture of the first coat of the top of my new storage/display/plant table. Well I must say I am a Rust-oleum fan now for sure. It turned out so well. We have started on the next piece of furniture and finished patching the last wall of the studio. This was had the seven foot mirror on it and there were several places that had been glued so they needed repair, That mirror was never falling down, for sure. I also had time to repair the patched someone else had done in the bathroom. So here it is Saturday morning and we are ahead of schedule.
It is a great start to our busy day.
Below is a picture of the finished plant table.
It is seven feet long and will look great under the front window in the gallery.
21 days from today we will be open for business!!!!!
Below this post you can see the very uninspiring picture of the top of our first piece of furniture. Like all our pieces it will do double duty. It will be a plant stand under the front window of the gallery and it has much needed storage space underneath. The reason the piece looks so...well, bad, is because it is going to be Kona Brown. Kona Brown is an amazing shiny finished deep brown. However, it goes on purple and you need several thin coats to make it really beautiful and this is the first one. I am so excited that we are able to start furnishing the gallery. Sept 15 is fast approaching and though the walls are painted and ready for pictures, I need places to put my mixed media pieces and plants, of course. I also have many things that have yet to find a permanent home so each piece will have storage to help us complete our space.
We also installed our sign a few days ago, it looks awesome. There is one small problem it is too bright. Bill is going to tone it down some in the next day or so but it is still beautiful. I have put a picture of it below as well.
I will keep you posted on our progress.
The new gallery is 28 days out now, and we have so many things left to do. One of the more important things for me is storage. I have downsized considerably but I still have stuff. My studio is full, full, full. Yet I have things that need a place. Something else we need is display for all the mixed media pieces that are free standing and not hung on the wall. Enter my husband, Bill, the KING of repurposed items. I need shelf at the windows in the gallery for my plants, so it will be a shelf with storage underneath. We have several pieces of furniture that we are not going to be able to use so Bill looked them all over and found a way to use them to make a plant shelf with storage. Not just one but two. When we open the extra room in the gallery some of the plants will go to that window. He also has plans for at least two other pieces. I so lucky to have such a creative husband and such a hard worker.