We had really expected to be in our new gallery, live, work home by now. However, nothing is ever as easy as it seems.
There is an ADA (disabled friendly) bathroom in our space. We wanted to keep it so that we could have a bathroom for public use. The way the previous tenant made the room for it was to take out the bathtub. There is also a large laundry area, so we thought we could put a shower in that room along with a stacked washer and dryer. In theory this was a great plan and when it is complete it will be a great space for us.
The first stumble came when we decided we had to raise the floor to make the water pipes work properly and to have drainage. This seemed much better than jack hammering the concrete and it went well. Second, we had to move the light in the room, when my electrician husband looked up in the attic space he found a real fire hazard and illegal wiring. Lastly, lights had been installed by running wire through the air conditioning ducts and punching holes in the ducts for the lights.
The vents for the air conditioning and the return air had to be moved. An exhaust fan had to be added. The ceiling had to be raised to allow the installation of the stacked washer and dryer. New floor tiles must be put down.
Not quite just put the shower here and the washer there.
The handyman husband has just about finished all this. I sustained a foot and wrist injury in the middle of all this, so I have been no help other than painting one room.
Yesterday we also realized the storage furniture units we have been using are at least one inch taller than our ceilings. They will have to be altered before we can set them up.
Lest you think I am just a moaning Mary, we are still so excited to have this place in a wonderful location and we are very excited to move, so we can work on the place without driving back and forth and get ready for our grand opening. If it is worth having it is worth working for.